Drop Down Menu

Thursday 22 January 2015

Review: Updated Opinion on Sailor Moon Crystal

A while ago I did a review of the very first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal, which aired online around the world. In Australia you can access the episodes through www.crunchyroll.com and just finding Sailor Moon Crystal in the shows section. So this Saturday just gone marked the end of the Dark Kingdom arc of the series (the first arc in the storyline), so I figured I’d do an updated review now that I’ve seen all 14 episodes.

THE GOOD:

I really enjoyed the animation of this version. I like that they were different from the original, but still retained a certain familiarity. Also, the plotline definitely seemed to stick closer to the original manga series than the 90’s series did, which went very off story a lot of the time. As much as I love the original series, I personally prefer the manga. I’ve never really watched any anime things in Japanese with subtitles, and I was very happy to find that I was able to keep up and enjoy the show despite not being able to speak the language. I think the great detail and vibrancy of the animation is to thanks for that.

THE BAD:

Okay, I know I said they seemed to stick more to the manga than the original did, and I stand by that, however I feel like they didn’t stick as close to it as they promised when they first started making announcements for it. I’m not sure, I may have to read them again, but I think there were a lot of liberties taken that maybe didn’t need to be. Also, I wasn’t a huge fan of the transformations, especially Sailor Moon’s. Her arms and legs go crazy long and look so weird. I definitely prefer the original transformations.

THE OVERALL:

Overall I really do like this series. I love that it’s available to everyone via the internet and nobody has to wait longer than anyone else for episodes. I’ve really enjoyed watching it and finding out how a new generation is interpreting the original manga. I’m keen to start watching the second arc of the series, which will cover the Black Moon arc. I think it should start back around the 7th of February, which isn’t far away. I’m also intrigued to see what the company who is dubbing it into English does with it, although I think that’s still quite a long time away. I really recommend this for anyone who is into this style of show, or if you were a fan of the original series or manga. It’s pretty cool guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS