Drop Down Menu

Thursday 15 January 2015

Best of 2014 - Face Products

Welcome to the first of my Best of 2014 posts! I’m going to split these up into four different categories: Face, Eyes, Lips and Random Stuff. Today’s post is going to be Face products. I had to kind of put my thinking cap on for this one, because face, or base products are some of my favourite makeup products. So I decided to split the post up into best ofs for different types of face products. Now that I’ve thoroughly confused everyone, let’s jump in!

I thought I’d include face prep stuff too, like cleanser, etc. I’ll list everything in order of how I would apply it to my face.

BEST FACIAL CLEASNER – PHILOSOPHY PURITY CLEANSER:



I was a bit hesitant to name this the best, not because it’s not good, but because I discovered it very late in the year. Strictly speaking I understand these Best Of posts to be about products you’ve used thoroughly throughout the year, but oh well. This is quite possibly the best cleanser I’ve ever used. I was hesitant to try it because I was under the impression that it was quite foamy and having dry, sensitive skin that wouldn’t really work too well. Now that I’ve finally been using it I can’t believe that I wasted all that money trying all those other ones I’ve tried this year. It’s so good, guys, I can’t even tell you. It gets all my makeup off, and I don’t need to use another cleanser afterwards. As a bonus, it has little to no foaming which means my skin doesn’t get that dry tight feeling, which in turn means I don’t go as red as a tomato in the face.

BEST MOISTURISER – AVEENO POSITIVELY RADIANT DAILY MOISTURISER:



I had a really hard time choosing between this or the Sukin Moisture Restoring Night Cream, which is amazing as well, but ultimately the Aveeno one won out. I love this moisturiser. I spent a good part of the year searching for a good daily moisturiser that didn’t break the bank, and this is the one that fit the bill. I had originally fallen in love with the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser, but this one is even better and so is the price tag. It’s so creamy and light. It gives a nice glow to the skin and doesn’t leave a greasy film on the skin. I rarely use a primer and find that foundation sits beautifully on top of it.

BEST PRIMER – LAURA MERCIER FOUNDATION PRIMER:



I’m almost certain that this is the original one. I know there are a couple of different types, but I’m pretty sure this is the original. I just love it. I don’t where primer that often because I find it hard to find a primer that doesn’t make my foundation go cakey, but this one doesn’t at all. In fact, it’s quite hydrating. My favourite foundation to use this under is the original Bare Minerals mineral powder foundation. I only have a sample, but it has lasted me a long time. I opened it in October and I still have a bit left. A little goes a long way it seems. I think I will definitely purchase the full size of this.

BEST FOUNDATION – BOBBI BROWN SKIN FOUNDATION STICK:



This one surprised me. My initial review of this was not a glowing review at all, but since then I have made my way to a second stick of it. Since my initial review I have really fallen in love with this foundation. It’s so light and creamy and builds beautifully. It’s also one of the only foundations I’ve ever bought that matches my skin tone perfectly. The first shade I had, which was Porcelain, was slightly darker, but the new stick I have in Alabaster is perfect. I love how easily this blends out, and if I’m feeling lazy I don’t have to powder this and it looks just fine, especially if I want to look a little dewier.

BEST CONCEALER – ESTEE LAUDER BRUSH-ON GLOW BB HIGLIGHTER, SOFT PINK:



Being so pale makes it really hard to find a brightening undereye concealer. I’ve used so many different ones and I was so happy to find this one. Sure, it’s $38, but it’s so worth it. For a highlighting product it has a decent amount of coverage and does a great job at hiding my dark circles. Also, it barely creases if I forget to set it properly and pretty much doesn’t crease at all when I do remember. I really recommend this concealer, especially since they have other shades and most people should be able to find one to match them.

BEST SETTING POWDER – HOURGLASS AMBIENT LIGHTING POWDER, DIFFUSED LIGHT:



This powder is perfection. I hate looking too matte, but feel more confident when I’ve set my foundation with some powder, so this is just the ticket! It gives the most beautiful and subtle glow and I really think it lives up to its name ‘Diffused Light’. I feel almost airbrushed when I where this. It doesn’t feel powdery and blends seamlessly onto the skin and any other makeup underneath. This is probably one of my top favourite purchases of all time!

BEST BRONZER/CONTOUR – E.L.F. ESSENTIAL HEALTHY GLOW BRONZER, SUNKISSED:

There’s not a lot to say about this bronzer. Honestly I’m not big into bronzers or contouring. I rarely do it and mainly just stick to blush. But, this is the bronzer I reached for the most when I did use one. It was the perfect tone and lightness for my skin tone and was able to be sheered out or built up. Unfortunately this bronzer’s life was cut short on my trip over the Christmas break (hence the lack of photo). I dropped my M.A.C pro palette (in which I’d depotted the bronzer pan into) and the bronzer was the only thing harmed in the process. It was completely crushed and smashed. I was very sad to see it go, especially since it had a lot of life left in it. I’ll get a new one eventually. It is only 3 bucks after all, but I do want to get some more use out of my Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess one first.

BEST BLUSH – ESTEE LAUDER PURE COLOUR BLUSH, PEACH PASSION:



This blush is beautiful. It builds nicely without being so pigmented that you look crazy after a tiny swipe. The colour is amazing too. It’s perfect for my skin tone and works throughout the whole year and with nearly every makeup look. It’s been my go-to blush throughout the entire year and I can see it being a favourite for a long time.

BEST HIGHLIGHT – THE BALM MARY-LOU MANIZER:



Ugh, this highlight! It’s exquisite! I’ve had it for about 7 or 8 months now, using it on a near daily basis and I’ve barely made a dent in it. It looke amazing along the cheekbones, down the centre of my face and even on my eyes as a quick everyday eye look. Words cannot describe how much I adore this product. It’s right up there with my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. 

Up next I'll be sharing my Best of Eye products for 2014, so stay tuned for that one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS