Drop Down Menu

Monday 19 January 2015

Review: #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

I’m so excited to finally be able to dedicate some time to recreational reading. I didn’t get a lot of time for it last year and since I’ve been on break from uni I’ve finished two books so far. I’m pretty proud. I used to read all the time, but having to read boring textbooks for uni kind of sucks the fun out of reading recreationally. I’m glad to have found the fun in it again!

This review (as the title says) is about ‘#GIRLBOSS’ by Sophia Amoruso. She is the CEO of Nasty Gal, which is an online fashion store that started out as a vintage clothes store on eBay and is now crazy successful.

THE GOOD:

There are so many things right with this book. I love the structure. Like Lena Dunham’s book there’s no real chronology to it. Instead she sorts her stories out into chapters that are designed to send different messages and lessons. I love how candid she was. She wasn’t afraid to come out and say that she’s not perfect and her story is not a ‘Cinderella story’. She’s a huge advocate for hard work and pursuance of your dream, no matter how difficult it might be to get there. She’s real with the reader about the realities of success and failure and encourages #GIRLBOSSES to take control and responsibility of and for their lives. She points out that even though you can’t control everything, you can control what you do with what you have. She gives great emotional, logical advice that can relate to both business and life. I love that this isn’t just another memoir. It’s a book of advice from someone who has struggled and who continues to work her butt off every day.

THE BAD:

I think some people might find the book a little braggy. I personally don’t, but I could see how it might come across that way. She talks a lot about her success and her business’ success. She’s proud of her accomplishments (quite rightly) and she voices that throughout the book. Honestly, that’s just me trying to find something wrong with the book.

THE OVERALL:

I loved this. It’s easy to read and gives great, sound advice. It’s nice to relate to her, not just because she’s so young, but because she knows that things don’t ‘just happen’. You have to work hard for them and it feels so much better when you do. I felt really inspired by her and I really recommend this to any #GIRLBOSS or #GIRLBOSS-to-be out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS