Drop Down Menu

Thursday 10 July 2014

Tutorial #2: Audrey Hepburn Inspired Natural Look

Hey everyone!

Here’s my new tutorial. I decided to use myself as a model. I was really self-conscious about it, but I did it. I know it seems weird to be self-conscious and have a beauty blog, but I really hate seeing photos and video of myself. I always hate the way I look in them.

Also, please excuse my bad hair, I'm currently growing out my pixie cut and styling it just seemed like too much effort today! :)

Anyway, the look was inspired by Audrey Hepburn, but I decided to go for a natural version. I know Audrey’s looks were always quite natural as it is, but I really wanted the eyebrows and eyeliner to be the main focus.  

I started by prepping my cleansed face with Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner, Trilogy Very Gentle Moisturiser and then a little bit of M.A.C Strobe Cream for extra illumination.



Onto foundation. I used my NARS Radiant Creamy Compact in Siberia and one of my new favourite brushes, the LimeLily duo fibre brush, which came in the set I bought a couple of weeks ago.


Then I added a little bit of Australis Lip and Cheek Combo in Flamingo Skies to my cheeks for a tiny bit of colour. I just used the peachy side.





On my eyes I started with a bit of M.A.C Studio Fix Concealer in NC15 and Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Barely Branded for a base.

Since I wanted a natural looking eye, I used my M.A.C Studio Fix powder in NC15 all over my lid and topped it off with a shimmery champagne coloured shadow.

In the crease, to the inner and out sides, I added a mix of the lightest and second lightest shades of matte brown from my Chi Chi Nudes palette with a pencil brush. I love this palette. I use it all the time for my everyday eye looks. I didn’t add any to the middle of my crease because I have quite small lids and sometimes crease colours can overpower my whole lid. Feel free to add the crease colour all across.

Using a clean fluffy brush I blended out the crease colour, which did bring it a little in towards the middle, but not too harshly.


Back to the base, I concealed my under eyes and powdered with my Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Powder. I used a very light matte brown to do the smallest bit of contour. Seriously, you probably can’t even see it in the photo. I know Audrey had very defined cheekbones, but my face is a totally different shape and I really hate the way heavy contouring looks on me. It makes me look like my cheeks are too small!


Then I used the Essence brow powder to fill in my brows. Audrey always had very prominent brows that were very dark. Lucky for me I have black brows so all I really needed to do was fill them in. be careful here, because there’s a very fine line between creating full defined brows and just looking like a crazy bushy eyebrowed person. If you think you’ve overdrawn a bit too much you can go in with a bit of makeup remover or even just concealer and hide your mistakes.




With the eyeliner, I wanted it to be defined and a key focus of the look, but I didn’t want it to look like I was going full cat-eye. Audrey’s wings were always just enough to really accentuate her lashes and give them that really full look. I used Rimmel’s new waterproof gel liner (for the first time) and winged it out just a bit. I brought the line right into the inner corner of my eye very thinly, and then thickened it at the outer corner near the wing.


For mascara I used my Maybelline Mega Plush all over my lashes and then Maybelline’s Colossal Smokey Lashes on the ends. The Mega Plush gives a more natural look, while the Colossal is much better at lengthening, which is why I used it on the ends. By all means, use fake lashes with this look, it could only make it look better. I’m not a fan of fake lashes because putting things near my eyes like that freaks me out.


On my lips (which I had previously moisturised and prepped using my Palmers Cocoa lip butter) I used Elizabeth Arden’s lip pencil in Blush to line and fill them in. filling your lips in with your liner helps with the longevity of your lip colour. For lipstick I used Mary Kay’s lipstick in Apricot Glaze, and topped it off with my NYX Butter Gloss in Crème Brulee.

I finished with a quick spritz of M.A.C Fix +, and that’s it.





I don’t know how effective these blogged tutorials are. The reason I don’t film (yet) is because 1) I don’t have a decent video camera and 2) I don’t have the confidence yet to put myself out there on YouTube. This will happen one day, eventually. If you guys have any types of looks you’d like to see, let me know, or if you have any suggestions for how I can make these blogged tutorials better (without using video!).

I have another tutorial that I did on my sister for her birthday last week, and hopefully that will be up in the next couple of days, as well as more reviews of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS