Drop Down Menu

Monday 7 July 2014

Review: Sailor Moon Crystal Ep. 1

Hey guys!

This review is not beauty related, but I really wanted to share my thoughts, because I’ve been excited for this for over a year now :)


Okay, so when I was a little girl I LOVED ‘Sailor Moon’. I’d watch the anime every morning on Cheez TV (old Aussie kids morning show) before school. I loved it and was really sad when they took it off. So, when I got a little older I started collecting the manga and the DVDs of the anime. When I heard that they were going to be rebooting it… well… suffice to say, I pretty much lost my shit. Especially when I read that they were going to be keeping it more true to the manga, which I had come to really love, maybe even more than the first anime. The storylines in the original anime kind of steered in a different direction from the manga from which it was based, and if I’m being honest, I do prefer the way the manga storylines go.

The first episode of the new anime, ‘Sailor Moon Crystal’, streamed on the 5th of July, which was a couple of days ago now. I’ve watched it twice. The first time was for pure entertainment purposes, but the second was because I decided to review it. I know I mainly do beauty stuff, but this is a memory from my childhood that I have always loved, so where better to share it than on a page dedicated to things I love? The first season will cover the Dark Kingdom arc, for those of you familiar with the Sailor Moon stories.  

I’ll admit now that I don’t know a whole lot about manga and anime. I mean, I used to watch ‘Pokémon’, but only because it was before ‘Sailor Moon’. And, apart from the ‘Miki Falls’ series by American manga artist Mark Crilley (which is awesome by the way), ‘Sailor Moon’ is the only manga I own.

Now I’ve given you that tiny disclaimer, let’s move on to my actual thoughts on the new show. I really liked it. Did I like it better than the original? Hmmm, I think it’s way too tell. It appears that they will be set out in acts, just as the manga are. If that’s the case, then the first episode, which was labelled as Act 1 – Usagi/Sailor Moon, was designed to match up to the act of the same name in the manga. I think it did a pretty good job too. From what I can tell, it was pretty close to being just a moving picture version of the manga. This is awesome, because it means that they really do appear to be staying more true to the manga than the original.

With regards to the actual animation etc., I did like the style of drawing that they have gone with, although for someone who isn’t super familiar with anime and manga, it was very different to the limited amount of stuff I’ve seen. I love the way the faces, especially the eyes, have been drawn. The style feels like it gives the characters extra dimension. One thing I notice that I thought was a little odd was arm and leg proportions. In the Sailor Moon transformation in particular I noticed this. Her arms and legs seemed very... I dunno, I guess Mr. Fantastic like (or Elastigirl from The Incredibles for all those Disney fans out there). It was just weird. I don’t know if this speaks to the quality of the artistry or not, but like I said, it was odd.

Overall, I’m really excited to see the rest of the season. From what I’ve read, it will be streamed every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month, which is basically every fortnight or so. Season 1 will consist of 26 episodes and will have subtitles for a lot of different languages. I’ll list the sites that I know stream them below. I was also reading that they will eventually be dubbed into English, which is cool, but it won’t happen until sometime after the first season is done. If you’re a Sailor Moon fan, or think you might enjoy it, definitely give this new one a go. It’s an awesome story!

The sites you can stream the episodes are:

Crunchyroll (Australia, UK, etc.): http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-moon-crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS