Drop Down Menu

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Review: NARS Radiant Creamy Compact Foundation (Siberia)

I thought it was about time I reviewed my NARS Radiant Creamy Compact Foundation. I’ve mentioned it a couple of times before, in other reviews, but now it’s time to put it in the spotlight and tell you my thoughts on it.

Once I realised that my Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick wasn’t working on my dry skin anymore I set out to find something more moisturising. I was still on a cream foundation kick, which is what led me to NARS. I’d watched and read a few reviews and most of them were pretty good, and talked about how moisturising the foundation was. So I went to Mecca Maxima and got the girl to try it out on my skin. It looked really nice and I was sold.

The foundation is $56, and you have the option of spending an extra $15 to get the travel compact for it. I like this concept of buying the compact and refill separately, because it means you’re not throwing out a perfectly good compact every time you finish your foundation. It also means that the cost is a little less, and you don’t have to spend the extra money if you don’t want to. The actual refill comes in its own little case so it’s protected without needing the travel compact. The refill just doesn’t have a mirror or space for the sponge, which I’ve only used once anyway. I personally didn’t buy the compact. I didn’t feel like I’d need it because I don’t have a habit of taking my foundation in my handbag for touch-ups.

THE POSITIVES:

This is a really nice foundation. I’m in the lightest shade (typical for me), and for a change it really is a great match. I thought it was a little too yellow, but on the skin it’s not. It’s a really good match, with just enough yellow to mute out my redness. It’s super creamy, so much so that it’s almost liquid. I love that there’s 12g as opposed to the 9g I got with the Bobbi, and it’s nearly $10 cheaper!

The foundation is very smooth, and once you’ve found the right method to get the best effect (for me it seems to be a sponge, not my Beauty Blender, just a regular disposable wedge), it looks really beautiful on. It has a light coverage, but is buildable. I find it glides on much easier than the Bobbi because of its more moisturising consistency.

THE NEGATIVES:

While it is buildable, it can start to look too cakey if you use to much. You do have to be careful to not take it too far. Also, even though it glides on much easier than the Bobbi, it also moves on the skin a lot easier. I find I have to be quite careful when I apply under-eye concealer, as if I accidentally swipe rather than dab, the foundation near it will shift, or sometimes even wipe away completely. It can be a bit of a pain if you’re in a hurry or simply don’t feel like putting too much effort in. you also have to be careful when applying powder over the top, which you will need because it doesn’t set as well as other foundations. I do like how my Elizabeth Arden powder looks on the top of it, because it’s more of an illuminating setting powder, but I think if you have dry, maybe even normal skin, using a mattifying powder might end up making you look a bit cakey and dry. I have tried it with a normal translucent setting powder and I really didn’t like the finish.

The other thing I don’t like is the fact that I had to try so many different ways to find the one that gave the most natural and flawless finish. As I said before I eventually settled for a normal wedge sponge, but I tried my Beauty Blender, fingers, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush (which a densely packed rounded buffing brush), a flat top buffing brush and a flat foundation brush. All of them gave okay to good finishes, but only the regular old sponge gives a finish I’m truly happy with. I’d much prefer it if I had a couple of options for applying it to a degree I’m happy with.

THE BOTTOM LINE:


I really like this foundation. It’s not my holy grail by any stretch of the imagination. I love the colour match and the finish I can achieve. I don’t love that it took me so long to find the best application method or the fact that it so easily wipes away, or even the fact that I have to set my entire face with powder, because otherwise it won’t set. Would I repurchase this? Maybe, if I can’t find anything I like better, but there are other foundations I would like to try first. I think when it’s time to buy a new foundation I might head back in the direction of liquids, to find a really good moisturising one. I’m thinking about the Hourglass Veil one (or whatever it’s called). Has anyone tried it, or one that it really moisturising? Let me know if you have any suggestions. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS