Drop Down Menu

Thursday 26 June 2014

Tutorial: Green Smokey Eye w, Purple

I finally finished all of my exams for the semester which means I finally had the time to work on my very first tutorial. I’ve never done this before, and I really had no idea if I was doing it right (as in doing it in an effective way). So, let’s get started…

First of all, meet my little sister Kelly, who agreed to be my model today.
The first thing I did was moisturise Kelly’s face and prime her eyelids with the Models Prefer Eyelid Primer. I got this in an eyeshadow palette for Christmas, and it’s really nice, although, once it’s finished I really want to give the Two-Faced Shadow Insurance a go.

Once her eyes were all primed, I put LimeLily’s Lime Zest eyeshadow all over the lid. This is a beautiful matte, bright green shadow. I used it wet to boost the pigmentation.

After that I added Estee Lauder’s Enchanted Forest to the crease as the transition shade. Then I went with Estee Lauders’ Ivy Envy to smoke out the whole lid and crease. I just added Ivy Envy very lightly and built it up until I was happy with it.

Once I was happy with the level of colour with the darker green shades, I went back in with Lime Zest just on the inner half of the lid, to brighten up the colour after some of it got blended away with Enchanted Forest and Ivy Envy.


Before I moved on to the lower lash line, I applied the base. I primed with Models Prefer Mattifying Primer, and used LimeLily’s Cream Foundation. To get the best shade match for Kelly, I mixed Sunny Beige and Toffee. I applied it just using a flat foundation brush from my new brush roll, which I have just purchased from The Make-up Foundation and will be reviewing soon. I then used a mix of Sunny Beige and Toffee, but this time with more Sunny Beige, as an under eye concealer. I set Kelly’s face with the Australis Ready Set Go Finishing Powder, which is just a true translucent setting powder.

I did a very light contour and all over bronze with Estee Lauder’s Bronze Goddess in Medium, and then used the Pure Colour Blush in Peach Passion. These are from the same special edition palette that the shadows are from. I got this for Christmas, but from what I’ve seen, with the blushes and bronzer at least, you can buy them individually. I used TheBalm’s Mary-Lou Manizer to highlight her cheek bones, forehead, nose, cupid’s bow and chin.

Now, back on to the eyes. On the lower lash line I used Estee Lauder’s Purple Passion wet, and then smudged it out a little. For the inner corner highlight I used a mix of Flirty Lilac and Pink Flash, and used Pink Flash again as a brow bone highlight.


Then I lined the water and tight lines with Estee Lauder’s Eye Defining Pencil in Soft Smudge Black and did a thin line of Essence’s Liquid Ink Waterproof Eyeliner across the upper lash line, as close to the lashes as possible.

I used the Essence Get Big Lashes Waterproof Mascara on both upper and lower lashes.


Once I’d finished her eyes I realised that I had forgotten her brows, so I use Essence’s Brow Pencils in both Blonde and Brown and topped them off with some Models Prefer Brow Gel (also from that eyeshadow palette). I did a fairly natural brow look, I didn’t want the brows to overpower the eyes. Also, I’m not a huge fan over really heavily drawn brows, I much prefer a natural look.

Finally, on to the lips. I first lined her lips with Essence’s Lipliner in Cute Pink.

Then I used a lip brush from my new set to fill her lips in with Rimmel’s Apocalips in Luna. To finish it all off, I set her face with the Australis Make-up Finishing Spritz.

So that’s the finished look. This is a look that you could wear clubbing, or to a party. The eye look is one that can be both lightened up and deepened, to get different effects and use for different events. The purple on the lower lash line is totally optional. As an alternative, you could just use Lime Zest and Ivy Envy.




I hope this tutorial worked out okay. Like I said, I was really just winging it. If you have any suggestions for a better way of doing (not involving a video camera), feel free to leave me a comment. Also if there’s any kind of tutorial or review you’d like me to do, again, just leave me a comment, and I’ll see what I can do J

Here’s a complete list of the products I used:

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel
Models Prefer Mattifying Primer
Models Prefer Eyeshadow Primer
LimeLily Cream Foundation – Sunny Beige & Toffee
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess – Medium
Estee Lauder Pure Colour Blush – Peach Passion
TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer
Estee Lauder Eyeshadows – Enchanted Forest, Ivy Envy, Purple Passion, Flirty Lilac and Pink Flash
LimeLily Eyeshadow – Lime Zest
Estee Lauder Eye Defining Pencil – Soft Smudge Black
Essence Liquid Ink Waterproof Eyeliner – Black
Essence Get Big Lashes Waterproof Mascara
Essence Brow Pencils – Blonde & Brown
Models Prefer Brow Gel
Essence Lipliner – Cute Pink
Brushes used came from the 16pc Starter Brush Roll Set from The Make-up Foundation


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS