Drop Down Menu

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Review: Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation (Shade 0.5)


A couple of weeks ago I uploaded a post covering the opening of Urban Decay at Mecca Maxima here in Australia. Until then I had only tried one product from the brand, and now I’ve managed to get my hands on a few things that I’ll be reviewing over the next few posts. I’m also planning a new series of one-brand focus posts and UD will be included in the brands I’ve got planned so far. The first review, as the title of this post says is for the Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup. A big name, I know.


As I’ve mentioned time and time again, I have a really hard time finding foundations that sit nicely on my skin that also match my skin tone properly. The best one I’ve found so far is the NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia. The first experience I had with the Naked Skin was during a free 45 minute makeup application from Mecca Maxima that I received for my birthday as part of their Beauty Loop membership. The girl did a beautiful job of my makeup, but the foundation end up being a little dark. She used shade 2 on me and by the time I got home I could see how dark it was. Luckily I had got my hands on a sample of the lightest shade, 0.5, a couple of days before so I could try it. Now, I will say that it is not a perfect match for me. I think it might be a smidge dark, but mostly I think it’s just a bit too pink. Usually I wouldn’t even entertain a shade I wasn’t completely satisfied with, but it’s manageable and as you read further down you’ll see why I don’t mind.

My holy grail foundation has been my Sheer Glow for a while now. It’s the perfect match for me because even though it’s really yellow, it helps to counteract the intense redness I can sometimes get. It has great coverage and works for me pretty much year round. The only thing that’s been bugging me about it lately is that it doesn’t seem to be sitting as nicely around my nose, upper lip area and chin. It goes a little patchy after a couple of hours.


Enter the Naked Skin foundation. This stuff just melts into my skin. It sits beautifully on my skin nearly all day. I swear, if I could have the shade of Siberia from Sheer Glow mixed into one bottle with the finish of the Naked Skin I would have my 100% HG foundation and I would never want to try another foundation ever again. Barring that wish coming true I’m happy to mix them. I can wear the Naked Skin by itself, and actually have done for the last couple of days with no real problem, but I really love the way it looks with the Sheer Glow. Because it’s so pink in its undertone the Naked Skin can start looking a bit dark as it starts to show a bit of wear. Once I re-powder it looks fine again, but sometimes there just isn’t time for a retouch. When I pair it with the Sheer Glow the colour becomes nice and balanced and seems brightened.

Now let’s talk about the consistency and finish. It’s very runny (and smelly, but it goes away as soon as you apply it). I definitely recommend giving it a good shake before you use it. Despite it being so runny you honestly don’t need that much to cover your face. Granted, I don’t have particularly problematic skin. I mainly just have redness and a couple of scars to cover. I usually do two pumps to get a medium or one pump if I’m feeling lazy and just want light coverage. When I pair it with the Sheer Glow I’ll do a pump of each. Sometimes I use a pump and a half of the Sheer Glow to really brighten the Naked Skin.

The finish of this stuff, both by itself and with the Sheer Glow is beautiful. It is by far the nicest finish I have ever been able to get on my skin with a foundation. It just looks so natural. It evens my skintone (despite being a little on the pink side) and has great pigmentation.

The positives of this foundation on my skin far outweigh the couple of negatives, such as the bad smell (it’s kind of like paint) and the slightly off colour. I’m just so impressed by this stuff. Honestly, I was pretty sure that I’d never find a foundation I liked as much as I like my Sheer Glow. I also love how well they pair together. If there’s something I’ve learnt in my search for the ‘perfect’ foundation it’s that there’s no such thing (so far), but there’s also nothing wrong with combining two different ones to create the perfect product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS