Drop Down Menu

Thursday 7 May 2015

Review: Avengers: Age of Ultron

The other night I went and saw the new Avengers movie with my sister. I had been really looking forward to it since I've loved pretty much all the previous ones in this Marvel universe. The premise of this movie is basically a follow on from ones like Captain America 2, etc. and continues on with the 'Infinity Stone' storyline. 

In this movie they introduce two new characters to the series, Wanda and Petra Maximoff, or Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as their known in the comic book world. In the comic books the characters (from my understanding) are mutants, but since another movie company has the rights to that term, in the Avengers they are referred to as being 'enhanced'. The story deals with the consequences the heroes face when Tony Stark and Bruce Banner (Ironman and the Hulk respectively) cook up a new form of AI called Ultron in their lab. They use the power from Loki's scepter from the first Avengers to bring Ultron to life. Just when they think that Ultron didn't work he comes to life and harnesses a part of the scepter the heroes didn't know about, which is one of the six Infinity Stones. Ultron becomes crazy powerful and vows to dominate and destroy humanity. Basically the heroes then have to stop their own creation to save the world. The Maximoff twins are both enemies and allies throughout the movie and they brought a different type of storyline to the series. 

I want to also add one little disclaimer before I get into my actual thoughts on the film. I have seen how bat-crap crazy people have gone over this movie and the perceived 'sexism' etc. in it. I will not be playing into any of that except to say this. I didn't find anything sexist or horrible about the movie. I think Joss Whedon is a great writer and director. If you read this an disagree with me, that's fine, but just remember we're all allowed our own personal opinion and this is mine. I in no way support sexism or any of the other themes this movie is accused of promoting, I just personally didn't find any of those themes in the movie.

I really enjoyed this movie. I love how all the Marvel movies have a healthy balance of humor, action and drama in them and this one was no exception. It was total action from the first second and continued through the whole movie. There was barely a restful minute in the whole movie. I also loved how this movie explored some of the characters we haven't had a chance to see much of yet. I love the Hawkeye storyline and how the Hulk played a bigger part. Whedon was really able to show that Hulk isn't as useless as he may seem. I mean, sure he's huge and strong and green, but he's also unreliable and super angry and I think this is one of the first movies to make real use of him. Even the Hulk movies haven't really explored his usefulness the way this movie did. 

Probably my favourite part of the movie was the addition of the Maximoff twins to the storyline. I loved that most of the time you didn't know which side they were on. I love how they were portrayed by their actors. Quicksilver was awesome. He was a bit of a larrikin. I loved him and Hawkeye sort of riffing off each other. It gave Hawkeye a different dimension to his personality. Scarlet Witch is just awesome. I loved how they showed her powers in this red flurry of air (yep, that was the worst description of something... ever). I love that she was strong and honest and powerful. I really look forward to seeing more in the next movies!

Personally I really just enjoyed the movie. It was easy to watch and had amazing action scenes. I love the superhero movies and this one did not disappoint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS